At Timberley Projects we may well be based in West Sussex but we’ve been carrying out groundworks projects all over the south of England for many years.
Groundworks are essential to any building project, be it commercial or residential. Most groundworks involve creating the foundation for any building project. And as a wise person once said, “Without a solid foundation you’ll have trouble building anything of great value.” Groundworks are also a requirement for most infrastructure work. Whenever you need new services such as, power, data, gas or water on site, you’ll need groundworks. Importantly, these works also serve an essential role in taking things away that are not wanted on site, via drainage systems.
Groundworks – The Process
Before starting any project it’s important to think about planning and budgeting. You’ll also need to consider the discharge of any planning conditions. Choosing the right contractor is an important part of your planning! You want a firm that responds quickly to your initial enquiry and offers a free site visit. Always select a team that’s comfortable working with your chosen architect, surveyor, structural engineer or designer. Before commencing any work ask for a detailed quote and a schedule of potential works.
To help you select the right team for your job you might want to think about asking the following questions of your prospective contractors.
Choosing a contractor for a residential project:
- Find out who will be running the site, and how long they have worked for the company you’re engaging. At Timberley Projects we’re fortunate to have a very low staff turnover. Simon and Rossi have a combined decade of exerience with us, so we know you’re always in safe hands.
- Also, ask how often a manager will be visiting the site. Our Directors, Christian and Olly are very hands-on. There’s nothing they enjoy more than heading on-site to see the fine progress our teams are making.
- During your initial site consultation it’s also worth finding out whether your prospective service provider can project any variations to the job, which you might not have thought of. At Timberley we’re always willing to share our industry experience to make your job as efficient and cost-effective as possible.
- You’ll also want to know how long the work is going to take and how it might affect your day-to-day living once it gets started.
Choosing a contractor for a commercial project:
- Ask all of the above questions but remember that with a commercial groundworks project the programme schedule is of the utmost importance. Overuns can be costly on your business. So select a team who are used to working on commercial contracts. At Timberley Projects we’re the groundworks team of choice for award-winning companies, such as The Pig, Lime Wood, Chewton Glen and The Great House in Sonning.
- Your insurers may need to know about your prospective service providers health and safety accreditations.
How the seasons affect groundworks.
At Timberley Projects we concentrate on drainage, landscaping, resin bound driveways and all works on residential sites in the warmer spring and summer months. During the cooler autumn and winter months we work with more commercial clients and jobs that involve foundation works, hardstands, drives and indoor groundworks.
If you’re based in West Sussex or across the south of England do contact us about your next building project where groundworks are an essential element.